Friday, October 1, 2010

Urbanity - a sunny walk on my lunch break

As usual, I like exploring my new surroundings. I changed offices in September and although I more or less know the area, I like walking around to actually feel it. A famous Serbian architect Bogdan Bogdanovic, my professor at the university (yes, I'm very proud of that!) wrote in one of his books something like "The cities are best explored by foot". Every time I walk in cities of the world, and my own (Vancouver, Belgrade, or Jagodina or any other), I remember that sentence. The human speed is walking, it directly relates to the experiance of the space one is walking through, and gives the best interaction between the soul and the urbanity. This also of course applies to nature, but \I will blog about it next time...

I walked down the street to False Creek, a supposedly mysterious body of water in downtown Vancouver near Sciency World. I was biking around there when I used to live around Commercial street, it was a pretty ugly industrial pile of rubbish. I was thinking back than I hope one day this red building will be renovated, and I'm so happy to see it standing, although converted to some retail space I believe.

The view across at the construction of the new roof on the BC Place stadium. The new multi family residential development was the Olympic Village for the 2010 Winter Olympics. Very controversial...

The new pedestrian / biking bridge is at the same place where there used to be a run down heavy timber bridge.

Ity reminds me on the London bridge, just a bit....

The water is much cleaner now. Another perfect afternoon for taking pictures and daydreaming...



A water feature in between the two buildings of Arthur Erickson. They are the last project he had done before he passed away. One of my most favorite architects! I'm proud I'm a Canadian because of him, among other things....

The building is seamingly simple, but on a more closer look there is a touch of an artist there...



I love the colours the light was giving today. The little park at the end of the complex is a bit unique, however, it doesn't feel like it settled yet. Looking forward to checking it again in a few years.




Another bridge in semi industrial look. The whole complex looks a bit too new, it hasn't started living in this area. It will happen over time. Maybe the reason is also a bit of a cacophony of styles.

The pond has an elaborate system of irrigation.


Then, on my way to skytrain after work there is another look at the BC Place Stadum. I'm getting used to it, although I was not in favour of removing the old pillow....

The title on this building says:
"Unlimited Growth Increases The Divide"
















And than back to the skytrain on my way home. I really enjoy the ride from the Waterfront Station. Skytrain is very relaxing to me, my meditation place.  



And, the sunsets are pretty good too...

2 comments:

  1. wonderful...I often go for a walk on my lunch break too. I would go every day when I lived or worked there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is beautiful indeed! Enjoy your walks!

    ReplyDelete